login
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • User Name
  • Password
  • Remember Me
ad
19 Apr 2018, 20:52 HRS IST
|
SC says courts are not the place to settle business or political rivalry which has to be fought in markets or electionsThe PILs were without any truth and attempt was made to malign the judiciary: SCSC says it thought of initiating contempt proceedings against petitioners but decided not to go ahead with itSC says during arguments, counsel for petitioners forgot to maintain institutional civility towards judges and made wild allegationsSC criticises attempts by senior advocates and activist lawyers to make insinuations against judges including that of the apex courtSC says frivolous and motivated litigation has been filed to settle political rivalryIt becomes clear that with these petitions real attempt and frontal attack was made on independence of judiciary: SCDocuments placed on record and their scrutiny establishes that Loya's death was due to natural cause: SCThere is no reason to doubt statements of four judges on circumstances leading to the death of Loya: SCSC says attempts were made to scandalise judiciary by levelling serious allegations against judicial officers and judges of Bombay HCSC dismisses pleas to probe alleged mysterious death of CBI judge B H Loya, who was hearing Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case
  • PTI
add
add

    • SC asks govt, others to mull ways to check sex offence videos

    •  Share
    • Print Print
    •  E-mail
    • Comments Comment
    • [ - ] Text [ + ]
    19:44 HRS IST

    New Delhi, Mar 20 (PTI) The Supreme Court today directed the Union government, internet majors and other intermediaries to sit together to mull over technical ways to block and check sharing of videos of sexual offences on social networking sites.

    A bench of Justices M B Lokur and U U Lalit directed Google India, Microsoft India, Yahoo India, Facebook and other internet intermediaries to submit the names of their representatives who would take part in the meeting in order to check cyber crimes.

    The top court asked them to finalise the names and inform about their decision by March 22, the next date of hearing.

    During the hearing, officials from the cyber security, who function under thhe CBI, told the bench that internet was a "wild highway" and blocking objectionable content at the source was a technical challenge for which clear guidelines needed to be passed to stop circulation of such material.

    They told the top court that 50 countries have set up hotlines to stop child abuse in their jurisdiction but India was yet to start such a service.

    The officials said they were taking assistance of the INTERPOL to stop child pornography, and whenever any complaint is received, the internet service providers are asked to block the objectionable content.

    The Centre had earlier informed the court that it would set up a specialised agency mechanism to block and curb sharing of sexual offence videos on social networking platforms in order to check cyber crimes.

    The court was hearing a letter sent to then Chief Justice of India H L Dattu by Hyderabad-based NGO Prajwala, along with two rape videos in a pen drive.

    It had taken suo motu cognizance of the letter on the posting of these videos on WhatsApp and asked CBI to launch a probe forthwith to apprehent the culprits. .

    • Post your comments